- Complete the first-day questionnaire.
- Install DipTrace on your laptop. See the Olin instructions here.
- Install the Windows version of LTSpice on your laptop. Download here.
- Get the DipTrace Tutorial PDF file.
- Complete the schematic and layout tutorial, pages 1 through 79.
- Complete a transient simulation of the "Astable Flip Flop" in LTSpice. Plot the current in the LEDs over a ten-second period.
- Complete a second layout of the "Astable Flip Flop" using the following surface-mount parts (on a two-layer board):
- Transistors: ON Semiconductor MMBT3904LT1G (SOT23 package, double check pin assignments!)
- Capacitors: 33uF TDK Corp C3216X5R1C336M160AB (1206 package)
- LEDs: Lite-On LTST-C170GKT (0805 package)
- Resistors R2 and R3: 680 ohms (0805 package)
- Resistors R1 and R4: 34 kilohms (0805 package)
- 9V battery connector (use same through-hole connector)
- Minimize the size of your PCB layout to save space. Less than two square-inches is the goal.
- Produce Gerber files for your design and submit them to OSH Park for fabrication.
Thursday, September 3, 2015
Lab 1: Simulate and Fabricate
The assignment for Lab 1 is to get a jump start on simulating circuits and doing board layout. Here are the individual steps: